Friday, April 22, 2011

Reflecting on Saturday

Saturday was a busy day, and I realized there is no way Mr. Screech would have handled it one year ago.

First, we had a soccer game and then went straight to an Easter party. We arrived 30 minutes late so everyone was there and it was loud. The boys are comfortable at this house because we are there every other Sunday for Bible study. They had a good time and left with lots of candy. Normally, we let the host know we will arrive early to be the first ones there or we have crazy meltdowns. Not this time!

Next, we headed to a ministry who needed help cleaning and fixing up their new building. When we arrived the boys met lots of new people and it was overwhelming for them, but they behaved well. We picked a room and starting washing the walls. The boys complained a lot, but that is to be expected. 

Around lunch time, everyone was hanging out in the same room and the ladies started interacting with the boys. It didn't take long for the charm to explode and they were soooooo over the top wild and couldn't come down. I let it go for a while and then I whipped out the calming techniques of deep pressure. 

The first, long bone compression. You push firm and steady between the wrist and elbow and then the knee and bottom of foot. I count to 10 while compressing.

The second is joint compression at the wrist, elbow and pressing straight down on the top of the head. All are done at a 10 count. 

The ladies were amazed at how calm the boys got and then wanted me to try it on them. They were amazed at how relaxed they got. 

3 comments:

Seven From Heaven said...

Wow, I've never heard of that before. That would probally help my daughter.

I have so much to learn.

GB's Mom said...

We have used this with GB since she was small. If I know something is going to be too much, we have a pressure vest she likes to wear.

Tasha Lehman said...

You'll have to show me those next time I see you!